Thursday, December 29, 2016

Books to read in 2017


After doing numerous hours of research over the last few weeks and devouring tons of topics on should you or shouldn't you... I have decided to come up with a must read list before I die or in my case before 40 (which sadly isn't all the far away). There are numerous post about which books out there make you a well read woman and these books are the ones all "educated" people have read. I however, have come to my list by a totally different alternative.

I just picked which ones from all those list have been ones that I've thought to myself, "hum that sounds interesting," or "how cool would I be if I could say I read that?" So here's my list and yes I plan to cheat with books I have already read because it's my list I can cheat if I want to...

1.1984 by George Orwell (yes I've read it, but it would be good to re-read it)
2. Candide by Voltaire (I have always wanted to read something by him and well this seems as good as a starting spot as any)
3. Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky (I've always wanted to read this)
4. Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes (again I own it but never read it)
5. Moby Dick by Herman Melville (I own but never have read)
6. The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan (own on kindle never read)
7.The Illiad and The Odyssey by Homer (read them in undergrad and would love to re-read them)
8. The Republic by Plato (why haven't I read this it was part of my undergrad)
9. Frankenstein by mary Shelley (I heard it on audiobook and would like to actually read it)
10. Catch 22 by Joseph Heller
11. Gulliver's Travels by Jonathon Swift
12. A Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
13. The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck (I have never been able to get through it's time to try)
14. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens (again own it never read it)
15. Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut
16. Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkein (all three)
17. Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace
18. The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien
19. All Quiet on the Western Front by Erinch Maria Remarque
20. In the Penal Colony by Franz Kafka
21. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
22. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
23. Beloved by Toni Morrison
24. Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
25. The Color Purple by Alice Walker
26. Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe (yes I've read it and yes I want to re-read it)
27. The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli (a great book should be on everyone's must read list)
28. Utopia by Thomas Moore (reading it again now)
29. The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin by Benjamin Franklin
30. Up from Slavery by Booker T Washington
31. The Divine Comedy by Dante
32. Paradise Lost by John Milton
33. Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies by Jared Diamond
34. Native Son by Richard Wright
35. The Road by Cormac McCarthy
36. Dead Souls by Nikolai Gogol

Whelp that's 36 books no where near the desired amount most people seek to be "well read" but I believe it is a starting point as I am going to be 36 next year and it's a book for every year I've been alive.

Do you have any suggestions of books I should read either this year as an extra or next year as my 37 "well read" reads? Any books you've read and thought it made you more "well read" or more "rounded" as a human that I should look up?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping in I appreciate you taking the time to leave some feedback! Hope you have a fantastic day 😄