Monday, April 24, 2017

Review ~ The Girl with All the Gifts by M.R. Carey

Title: The Girl with All the Gifts
Author: M.R. Carey
Copyright: 2014
Type:  dystopian
Pages: 435
Series: no

Reason for Reading: I mean come on the summary alone deems this book a glance at

Summary:
Melanie is a very special girl. Dr Caldwell calls her "our little genius."

Every morning, Melanie waits in her cell to be collected for class. When they come for her, Sergeant Parks keeps his gun pointing at her while two of his people strap her into the wheelchair. She thinks they don't like her. She jokes that she won't bite, but they don't laugh.

Melanie loves school. She loves learning about spelling and sums and the world outside the classroom and the children's cells. She tells her favorite teacher all the things she'll do when she grows up. Melanie doesn't know why this makes Miss Justineau look sad.
 

Thoughts:
I must say this book was a pleasant surprise.  I was shocked by how much I enjoyed this book. It was a great glance into the way people in general would and could react should something happen. People try to do what they “deem” best when it might not be. I am very shocked by how the book ended but also about how it got there. I loved learning about Melanie and who she is as well as what she might be. I also enjoyed her reaction to Miss Justineau. The side characters such as Dr Caldwell and Sergeant Parks are also well written and fascinating in themselves. I really enjoyed watching their interaction as well as possible growth or not so much. I did enjoy getting to know all the characters not just one of them and I enjoyed that fact that this story was fast pace. I never once wished it was different or had a different storyline. There were points when I thought this could have been wrapped up quicker but at the end I had the sense that I should have slowed down and enjoyed it more. Very rarely does a book come along that makes a person want to continue reading and then investigate more from that author. This book however, did and now I want to see the movie!

Goodreads Grade: 4 out of 5 stars

Would you recommend this book to others?  YES very much.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping in I appreciate you taking the time to leave some feedback! Hope you have a fantastic day 😄